Parents...
Mar. 3rd, 2009 08:31 pmWhat is the correct or approved protocol when a child is misbehaving in public without supervision? For future reference? I've asked that they not jump on and off of the furniture (which is right next to a very fragile, very heavy table) three times. Do I just seek the parents out and ask them to keep them off of the furniture?
There's no way out of this without pissing someone off, is there?
There's no way out of this without pissing someone off, is there?
no subject
Date: 2009-03-04 02:53 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-03-04 03:17 am (UTC)Usually, the other parents are either cool about it, or too embarrassed to say they have a problem with it. I always try to take a stance that I'm assisting other parents, rather than scolding them.
I did this before I had kids, too, though it's been more frequent since then.
no subject
Date: 2009-03-04 07:35 am (UTC)Say something to the kids. If they don't listen go to the parents. It's fine to use a firm voice, you're there to make sure your store stays looking nice and not to babysit.
The customer is NOT always right. :)
no subject
Date: 2009-03-04 02:00 pm (UTC)Or you can just skip the first "ask nicely" part.
no subject
Date: 2009-03-04 10:56 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-03-04 02:26 pm (UTC)As a parent, if my children are misbehaving I'll give them a couple of warnings that if they continue the behaviour we will leave, and then I follow up on that. As a result, my kids listen to me and behave appropriately because they know the consequence if they don't.
no subject
Date: 2009-03-04 04:01 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2009-03-04 09:12 pm (UTC)Yes, you will likely piss off the parents. But, not pissing off the parent probably means several other people being pissed off.
Oh, and if the kid is tired or bored, it's more the parent's fault than the kid's.
no subject
Date: 2009-03-10 08:47 pm (UTC)Take a firm tone, give the stink eye and point right at them so that there is No Doubt you are talking to Those
MonstersKids Right There.I have done this to great effect in grocery stores, where for whatever reason parents seem to let their kids zip around like so many shrill tiny Hydettes.